Sunday, 24 March 2013

20/03/2013 - Not for the faint-hearted

Crazy busy Wednesday at work. I hate those, don't you?! It's all very tense and stressful.We interviewed a lady for the secretary role in our office and have a couple more interviews this week. Fingers crossed one of them wants to come and work with us to ease the pressure which is on everyone...but mostly me... :)

No #Whedonsday tonight as Chris had family commitments. It's cool. I'd made a date of my own. A rather gross date.

Warning: If you are easily offended by gross things, then I wouldn't read the rest of this post.

Guys, I own an old house. It was built in approximately 1890. It's an end terrace which is surrounded by alleyway. It's open to every element you can imagine. The people who built my house didn't have access to all the awesome insulation etc that is available today for all the new builds. So, as you can imagine, it's not necessarily the driest of houses.

My downstairs shower-room is riddled with damp. Whoever added this room on really didn't think about what they were doing. When they fitted the boiler, they left a gaping hole in the brickwork on the outside of the house where they fitted the vent. As we haven't had a decent summer for approximately EVER (hmph) I haven't been confident that the brickwork etc is dry enough to try to block back in.

Needless to say, I have unwelcome growths in my shower room. The ventilation is not amazing in there. It gets damp. It stays damp. It get mouldy.

Also, the person who painted my house was a complete dumbass novice and painted directly onto bare plaster without prepping it first. So the paint just peels right off. FANTASTIC, EH?!


Just a small example of the grossness in my shower room. Don't worry about the wet walls - that was me. I will come to that in a sec.


It makes me feel sick, knowing that I live with this. Well. I had a free evening, so armed with some mould spray I picked up in B&Q, I set to to attack the buggers and clean that sh*t off my walls!

The first coat did not work. The second coat did not work. I was not a happy bunny!

Luckily for me, I found some stuff that I had bought a little while back in Lakeland. Guys, this stuff is AMAZING.

Works like a charm!





Aren't the after pictures wonderful?! I wiped the walls down and they were white again!

This room needs far more work. Other than blocking up the gaping gap at the rear of the house, I need to remove the peeling paint (which is a guilty pleasure I guess), prep the bare plaster a little, put a layer of damp seal paint and then repaint the room.

Good job I like painting then, isn't it?!


No comments:

Post a Comment