Wednesday, 27 March 2013

25/03/2013 - *insert pain noises here*

I woke up at around 2am and I couldn't breathe. It hurt. A lot. It felt like I was being stabbed in the chest and back. I couldn't lie down as it made it worse.

I got up and took my inhaler. Couldn't breathe in enough to get a full dose. Had a pint of water. Still no joy.

My discomfort woke Paul who was on the verge of calling an ambulance but I sent him for paracetamol instead.

I couldn't lie down and go back to sleep so I propped myself up on cushions and pillows and tried to get back to sleep. Failed.

Word to the wise, readers. Do not google symptoms. Doctor Google told me I had excessive heartburn. Or I might have been having a heart attack. I might have pleurisy. Or lung cancer.

Yeah. Scary stuff.

I managed to fall back asleep (not aided by Maia, the LOUDEST. SNORER. EVER) but did not want to get up with the alarm at 6.30am. Mostly because getting up hurt. I could bearly draw breath, so was having to take little breaths where possible. Not good.

Paul drove me to work as I wasn't confident I could walk the distance. The pain was awful. I had to go to work though as it's going to be the craziest 4 days in working history due to all the changes in our industry next week. I have no idea what it all means, but I know we're in a mad dash to get everything sorted before then.

I got quite a lot done, but we were being hindered by various people NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO WHAT WE WERE TELLING THEM. Urgh.

Paul insisted on taking me to the NHS walk-in centre, and was backed up by my line manager (I should think of a nickname for him...hmmm...) so come 5pm, Paul was outside in the car ready to drive me. I was expecting it to be jam packed. It wasn't! Success.

I saw a lovely nurse man who had amazing hazel green eyes. He took my temp and my blood pressure (which is slightly high...uh oh) and then had a listen to my chest. Nothing. He asked me to take a deep breath and I couldn't. He squeezed my ribs. I nearly punched him. He squeezed my sternum. I might have cursed rather loud.

Turns out I have something called Costocondritis, which is an inflamation in the ribs. Can be caused by a virus but was most likely caused by my painting. The good news is that it's not a chest infection or any of Doctor Google's suggestions. The bad news - there's naff all they can do to make me better! I should take ibruprofen but I can't as I'm athsmatic. So I have to take regular codeine and grin and bear it.


My new best friends.

I'm also not allowed to exercise until the pain has been gone for a week. I can't do any heavy lifting or exaggerated movement.

Yeah. All that housework I said I needed to do yesterday. I can't do it. Hmmm. I have to do it. We have visitors a week on Friday. Not. Good. Will have to sit and point while Paul does it. Waste of man-power.

Caroline is not impressed. Just so you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment