Tuesday, 19 February 2013

30/01/2013 - Forget yesterday's ouch!

Started off the day by falling down my stairs...yeah, well done me.

My house is over 100 years old. My rooms have high ceilings, therefore I have steep stairs.

We had to knock the half-bannister out when we moved in, as otherwise we couldn't get anything up the stairs. Most prominently the bed. The shop did not ask us if it would fit when we bought it. It didn't. The kingsize mattress was tough enough to bend round the corner, but the bases...yeah. Didn't happen. The delivery folks were going to take it back, but I didn't know where I stood with regards to getting my money back so I insisted they leave it.

So off came the bannister.

Admittedly, it was quite fun!

There have been a few tumbles over the near-five years but this one...well...it was my worst, anyway!

I was just going downstairs, as I have done many thousands of times when about to leave the house for work, when WHOOSH!

I was pretty shaken up. I hit my head on the wall at the bottom of the stairs. I hit my leg continually as I went down. I jolted my shoulder.

I did not cry.

It bloody hurt, but I was a) trying not to lose consciousness as I was home alone, and b) concerned that I had scared the cats!

I was ok. Went a bit light headed, but managed to stay with it.

I am getting a delightful bruise though.



Note to my readers - it's really hard to take a photograph of the back of your right calf. Just sayin'.

You can see it starting to purple up, right?

Do you want to know why I fell?

I SLIPPED ON BARNEY'S MOTHERHUMPIN' BABY!

 Meet Baby. Baby was gifted to me by an old friend who knew I liked cats. It may even have been pre-Maia.

When Barney was tiny, he fell in love with Baby and carried him around by the scruff of his neck, just like a mama-kitty carries her young!

He just loves that thing!

Anyway, I had known it was on the stairs, but I'm pretty sure I had made an effort to avoid it on previous trips.

So I either slipped on Baby, or slipped while trying to avoid Baby.

Either way - OUCH!

1 comment:

  1. you really should put the handrail back up. I worked with a woman who fell down the stairs. She hit just right and she did some pretty severe damage to her brain, and she was never the same afterwards.

    ReplyDelete