Sunday, 28 July 2013

24/07/2013 - Invitation Time again! :) **Picture-heavy Post**

It's Wednesday which means one thing that fills us with joy and happiness: later get up! The alarm doesn't go off until 6:30am instead of 5:40am! We don't get up until after 7am, so it really is a nice lie in! I can't not snooze my alarm. I don't understand these people that can set and alarm and get up straight away!

We had another long day in work. It was a little bit manic and both T and I were falling asleep come 3pm!

Once I came  home, I pretty much got straight to work. I need to utilise my time a little more wisely, with only just over 6 weeks until our wedding.

Tonight I started on the place names for the wedding meal tables. No spoilers, because they're going to be awesome (I hope) and I want to keep them a surprise to EVERYONE. Mum and Dad know a bit, as they are helping with a bit, but the rest, we're keeping schtum!


Some of my materials. Note that double sided tape? It's amazing. Seriously good stuff. Even the liquid glue is better than I thought. The glue stick...not so much!

We then remembered that we had a few more invitations to make as my friend hadn't received hers, and there were a few more people to invite to the evening do.

So here is where I do the big invitation reveal! I said it would come and here it is!

If you don't care, then please stop reading now, as there are a LOT of pictures, and unless you're interested, they are really dull!

I may have already posted some of these pictures in my post back when we made the invitations. I can't remember which and am too lazy to go back and look!

OK.

So way back when, we decided that instead of enjoying the nice weather, we decided to make our wedding invitations. It was a long and laboured (and in parts, painful) process, but I am very pleased with the end result.


How nice and neat the table started off. Card. Mouse (to skip tracks on the ipod playlist), glue gun. double sided tape (that we ended up not using here...and it's a good job because it's awesome, as previously mentioned) and a guillotine!

Also my feet in sexy flip flop slippers. You're welcome.

Aherm.

First thing we did was print off the invitation wording onto the card, and then cut the card in half.


The wording is on the other side. Honest.

The cards, once at A5 size then needed embellishment. We umm'd and ahh'd over what to do for a while while designing the invites, but then found a cute stamp that would go in the bottom corner, just to make them a little more interesting.


It was quite a therapeutic process! Excuse the editing. As much as I love you guys, I don't really want to be putting full details of our wedding out there on the internet. Not just yet anyway!

Here's a close up!


Simple, yet effective I think!

The Camper Van bauble came to help as a paper weight while the ink dried!


I think they're looking good! But not good enough!

They need something more. So whilst the ink was drying, we started on the next bit - more prettiness!

On the left-hand side, we decided to put a strip of lace ribbon to add some texture and...well...something a bit different than ink on paper!


Yep - strips of lace ribbon. Not that exciting, but cut by my fair hands!

Then it's time for the hot stuff!


Turns out I'm not the best with a glue gun. Paul turns out to be quite handy though, so we got these done in a flash!

A little while prior to the making of the invitations, we had made the bit that was going to put people's name on the invitation. It was a messy job, and again, Paul was better at it than I, but it saved us a lot of work today putting everything together.


Kraft paper luggage tags. I think they're quite common in the wedding industry at the minute, but we liked them. Stamping the names on was tough, as it was quite difficult to keep it neat!

Luckily on our prototype invitation, we used one that would be a little bit easier to re-do if we ballsed it up!

So once the lace was in place and cooled, we attached the tags and voila! The main body of our invitation was complete!


The picture doesn't really show the contrast between the lace and the card. The lace is white and the card is cream.

But that's not enough! It needs more!


I think I've shown you these before. We got to work making the RSVP cards, printing the envelopes and putting it all together to go with the invitation.


Still not enough. We need something to hold it all together.

Waaaaay back in March (I think it was) when we went to Chester to pick our wedding rings, we sat in a bar and designed our invitations. We wanted an envelope to go in the envelope and to fit with the rustic feel for the day, we chose hessian! Nice and flexible. Too flexible, it turns out, but I digress!

We had cut a rhombus shape out of the rest piece of hessian we got and it worked well, so we cut up the rest. But it looked a bit daft and gap-ey, so we needed to iron it down.


It's very easy to iron as well. Hessian is great! Hahahaha, how much do I not mean that statement!

Once cut and ironed, we decided to stick the invitation to the hessian, strung it together and the invite is complete!


Nice.

That's where we left it for day one. Because we discovered that the bulk load of hessian that I had bought was different to the stuff I had previously bought and used to make Ash's invitation.

Ah.

It wasn't good, guys. The hessian moved around and wouldn't cut nice and neat.

Hmmm.

So we carried on regardless, hoping it would all turn out for the best. Spoiler alert, it didn't.


Paul measuring like a boss. Shame the hessian wasn't playing ball.


Barney playing in the hessian. He loved it. Most fun ever!


Marking on the hessian with chalk and cutting that line. Should have worked. Didn't.

We persevered and cut enough rhombuses (rhombi?) for all the invitations we would need. We kept them on one side ready for when we needed them. They were guarded well.


Ah, the irony of the bag behind the cat on the hessian when he shouldn't be.

The cats LOVED the hessian. They still do. It must be nice for them to lie on for some reason. We have enough of it to make a bed for them so maybe we will!


Just to prove that it wasn't just Barney who was a fan!

The envelopes were severely wonky. The invitation looked awful. We stuck the invitation onto the new stuff and it just didn't work.

We were very grumpy. Serious anger and doubts over the whole thing. Talk of spending more money and buying better quality stuff, even though it's more expensive and we'd be stuck with even more copious amounts of hessian than we already are.

Then inspiration struck. I cut around the invitation, leaving a fringe around the edges. We then fitted an envelope around the backed invite and tied it. Yes, the envelopes are still wonky but they aren't part of the invitation any more and if anyone has any sense, they can discard the messy hessian and keep the invitation on it's own.

AH HA!

So instead of wasting the rhombus' that we've already cut, I set to work cutting rectangles for the invitation to be backed with.

Barney 'helped'.


These were carefully measured and it's much easier to cut horizontal and vertical lines in this stuff. Who'd have thunk it?! Anyone with common sense, that is!


Yup, easy.

So we stuck the invites on the rectangles, neatened the edges, surrounded the same with a hessian envelope, made sure the RSVP cards were in the day invitations, tied up the edges and DONE!

So there we have it! Invites done! And yes, Ash, yours is unique in that yours was how we initially intended the invites to be! Everyone else got the second plan.

We're really pleased with how they turned out in the end! Not that we didn't like them originally, but as we couldn't do that, we have to compromise and they've ended up good! We've had loads of positive feedback!


Ash's finished product.

I don't think we have a picture of the secondary invite. Hmm. Sorry about that.

I'm sure you can imagine...right?!

We'll probably have to make even more, or I'll get a pic from someone who received one and show you then!

So...do you like them?!

No comments:

Post a Comment